How does the Option Process® Dialogue work so Effectively?
The key principles of The Option Process Dialogue:
- The Option Process Dialogue helps the explorer uncover the beliefs that underlie their feelings and behaviours in response to events and external factors. After or during the process explorers may decide to alter or jettison those beliefs in order to change the feelings and behaviours.
- There are no right or wrong answers. The explorer chooses the focus of the exploration throughout the process the Mentor-Counsellor will follow your answers with a question designed to help you uncover your beliefs on the issue.
- Explorers are their own best experts with regards to what they think, feel and believe.
- Option Process Mentor-Counsellors ask questions but make no interpretations, give no advice and have no preconceived agenda or goal for those exploring.
- Explorers are always doing the very best that they can (based on their current set of beliefs)
- Explorers do not have to answer any questions that they do not wish to answer.
- Above all, Options Process Mentor-Counsellors are present, accepting, nonjudgmental and non-directive, with a deep sincere caring for the explorer.
- The content of the dialogue is confidential.
Many of us have been systematically taught by ourselves and others to use discomfort as a strategy to take care of ourselves and to get what we want. By using The Option Process Dialogue to examine your beliefs, you can unteach this strategy and instead improve your health, career, relationships and quality of life.
Preparation for a Dialogue
All you need to do to prepare for a dialogue is to make yourself completely available without distraction for 50 mins of the session.
It may help you to prepare for a dialogue by thinking beforehand about the issues you want to explore. If it helps, you could even make a list bullet points for yourself.
During the dialogue, say the first thing that comes into your head, without filtering or editing things out that you might at first think of as inappropriate or someone might think I am stupid etc, etc. I just trust it is the most useful thing to say and just let it flow.
Reading any of the Option books is a great idea a few chapters of Happiness is a choice by Barry Neil Kaufman, as is listening to any of the Option Process CD’s. I have found the more I have come to know and understand the Option Process the faster I have got at getting myself to a place I want within a dialogue.