Besan Purae (Chickpea pancakes)
Besan purae are a great breakfast, brunch or afternoon snack with tea. You can serve them with ketchup as I have here (my favourite) or you any pickle or sauce of your preference. You will need a nice non stick pan to fry these, they are so quick to prepare and so yummy, you might ditch the toast for this gluten free, vegan breakfast!
Ingredients – Serves 2-3
- 1-1.5 cups water
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 onion chopped finely
- 1 tsp each salt
- 1 tsp dry ground red chilli (optinal)
- 1 tsp Garham Masala
- 1/2 tsp ajowan seeds (optional)
- Handful of chopped fresh coriander leaves, or frozen pre-chopped coriander.
- Flavourless oil, like sunflower or groundnut oil.
- Whisk all of the ingredients together into a batter, adding a bit more water if you need to get a consistency that will spread out in the pan (it might take a couple of pancakes to get this right).
- Heat a nonstick pan (I use an 8″ frying pan) on medium heat and pour in about a dessert spoon of oil in. Ladle some batter into the pan (I just use my normal cooking laddle you can use a 1/4 cup measuring cup for this too) and swirl it swiftly to get a pancake (if it doesn’t swirl easily, you need to add a bit more water to the batter).
- Cook the pancake on one side until it’s almost completely dry on top and golden on the bottom (you may have to adjust the heat to keep it from burning).
- Drizzle another spoon of oil on top of the pancake and then flip the pancake and cook until the other side is golden too.
- Serve hot with your chosen condiment. Enjoy! Can be eaten cold for picnics or yummy pack up lunch.
- By the way if you have nay batter left, just put it in a sealed container in the fridge and will keep for up to a couple of days.